Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Antwerp

The diamond city!

First take a first look at the people who went there. Wojtek, Katia, Shilpa, Andras, Kristof, Kiran, Gemma, and me (I was taking this photo... sorry about my photo skills).



We have a quiet trip, and I've been asked about Catalan history. I'm proud of my country... you've probably noticed it. It's a really nice city, Rubens was born here and it was, is and probably will be the World's capital of the Diamonds. In the "Diamond Museum" we can see that it is necessary one tone of ground to find one carat of diamond. One carat = 0.2 grams. Africa, India, South-America (and Russia and Canada too) are the places where the diamonds are found. The question is: how? I don't wont to know it, I don't wont to know how many people have died because of the diamonds, or how many people is still suffering because of that. I only was interested in the physical properties of the diamond. Its atomic structure is one of the strongest in the whole creation, and it is a result of many many years with high temperatures and high preassure. Don't forget the graphite and diamond are made with the same element: carbon.

We have visit a couple of churches or cathedrals (which is the difference between them? only the size?) and they are not really different than the others churches in Belgium where I've been before. And we went (but not visited because of the price) to a nice castle which is placed next to the river.
A really nice city, with a diamond story, and one of the most important ports of the world. If you've never been there and you're traveling through BeNeLux, just go there.

No comments: