Monday, September 18, 2006

Finland (II): the Summer Cottage

Hello again people of the world! I hope that soon I will have interesting news to tell you but before: “lo prometido es deuda” which means “the promised stuff is a debt”!

We, Emma and me, took the train from Helsinki to Imatra. The place where we spent that amazing week is between Mikkeli and Imatra, and the distance between Helsinki and that place is more or less the same. Why Imatra? I’m going to give you a good reason:

The Imatra dam

This dam reminds usually closed, but time to time they open it. And not only open it, they perform a nice show with music while the water is running. You can book it and have your own show paying a quite huge amount of money... but we were just lucky and the show happened while we where there.

Anne and Hermanni picked us up from the train station and we did a little tour through Imatra. After it we saw the show and then, let’s drive (Hermanni) to the cottage!

Emma, Anne and Hermanni having a nice walk

Driving for half an hour, use a ferry and at the end dirt track with a tricky phase at the end. Basically we were in the middle of nowhere. The first thing that I notice there is the landscape...

This is what you see just jumping out of the cottage

It is just amazing, the lake, the trees... everything is nice, quite, silent and calm. And here we have the summer cottage!

And this is the cottage

I forgot to thank Anne and Hermanni to invite us to spend that amazing week there. Amazing landscape, amazing environment, amazing food and amazing company, what else can I ask for? Running water! (I had to say it). They are so funny the Finns. They have cell phone signal everywhere, but no running water. That was a new experience for me, new and cold at some points.

The smoked sauna!

I discovered the natural sauna and the smoked sauna. I discovered the sensation of running from the sauna (80 degrees) to the lake (water at 16 degrees). I saw Hermanni smoking Salmon! And Anne made a delicious berries cake. Plus the burgers, the pork, and my omelette (hehehe).

It looks good... but i tastes better

The word that describes better that week is relax. Reading a lot (Emma more than anyone), having naps, eating, waking up late... At some point people start missing the civilization, but everything was so new for me that I didn’t miss it a lot. And here I should say again how well Anne, Hermanni and of course Emma treated me there... you are just amazing people! I helped a bit, but not much...

Me, helping a bit ...

After it, let's pack and come back to Espoo to spend some time before going to Catalonia!

And that's it!


No comments: