Sunday, January 21, 2007

Guitar accidents: they happen

Anything that you can solve with money is never a big deal. But you might feel so stupid about it. And here is my little experience with it... lots of pictures and only little text. Sorry.

I was playing the guitar at home, sitting down. I stood up to adjust one of the knobs of my amplifier. When I was touching it, the strap went loose and the guitar stomped to the floor. It crashed by the tuners and the neck just broke. The images are talking for me, aren’t they?

Bad thing of this kind of guitar, against bolt-on neck guitars: it is fucking expensive and difficult to replace the neck. If it would be bolt-on instead of set, you just take out the screws, replace the neck for a new one (you can choose the quality of it) and it’s done. But it had to happen to the set neck guitar.

I brought it to a luthier in Barcelona, and after opening the case...

Fuck, shit... wow, what a hit!, it looks horrible. Let me see... oh, no... look at the fibres of the wood... oh no... and the soul (metallic piece which keeps the shape of the neck)...


Well, he told me that there is a good solution, definitive and I won’t notice anything afterwards. They’ve done it with another guitar already (same type than mine but much better quality) and he showed me the pictures. Ok, it looks cool but... the price of the repair is more than double price of the guitar itself. The other possible solution doesn’t give any guarantee that it will work properly but it is quite “cheap” to try...



So now my Andorran guitar is in Barcelona, and let’s hope that the luthiers glue is gonna do magic!

If you have a guitar, buy security strap-locks, they cost les than 15 euros and are going to save the life of your guitars!

No comments: