Saturday, October 14, 2006

Butifarra amb bolets

Wow! The autumn is definitely here people. I want to share with you the experience of a quite typical autumn Catalan meal: Butifarra amb bolets!

Some really nice bolets, concretely rovellons!

I don’t know how many of you usually eat mushrooms (and I don’t count the champignons that everybody more or less eats, because that is the main point of the meal. The mushrooms that we ate for lunch were: in Catalan “rovellons”, in Spanish “níscalos”, in English “milk cap” (I don’t trust this version) and in Finnish “männynleppärousku” (I know that this is the singular version only). The other kind of mushrooms that we ate today I only know their name in Catalan, “llanegues”.

A box filled with yummy rovellons, ready to be washed


And here we have the rovellons after being washed


The ready llanegues

Some of they are so cute, aren't they?

You can only find this kind of mushrooms in autumn and you have to go to the woods to pick them. Don’t worry, we didn’t go there! Fortunately there are some people who like to go there and pick them, and after it they sell the mushrooms to the small fruit-vegetables shops. We bought them from there (and my grand dad brought some more to us, great!).

If they are good, they don’t need much to do. And believe me, they were really good! We cooked them (ok, my mum did them) in the oven: oil, salt, garlic and parsley (not perse!, I know you Finns...).

Almost ready to be eaten... these rovellons look so good...

... and the llanegues too!

When they aren’t that good you can use them to make a kind of sauce to dress meat for example. But use the mushrooms that we had today to make just a sauce would be to spoil them!

So the next question is what to eat with the “llanegues i rovellons”?, typical solution: “butifarra”. It is just a sausage made with pork minced meat but we like it a lot, and after being in Belgium and Finland for a couple of whiles I must say that I haven’t fund the same kind of “butifarra” abroad. I like our “butifarra”.

An almost ready plate, before the llanegues

The only little mistake that we made was about the amount of them! I finished my lunch six hours ago and I still feel full!

So people, if you have the chance to try them, do it!

Bon profit and hyvää ruokahalua!

1 comment:

Bel·la Txao said...

La mare que em va parir...

This stuff REALLY kicks ass!!!! Though I would ask you to warn some people beforehand(especially expats like me, without access to such gorgeous food) that these images could harm sensitive hearts

Salut Roger, també he instal·lat el comptador de visitants, però diu que és de prova, i fa bastanta pena...